http://www.blogcatalog.com/directory/lifestyle/living-well/ Adventure Woman Blog: Viva Las Vegas
The Official Blog of AdventureWoman.com


Friday, April 9, 2010

Viva Las Vegas

Las Vegas is an adventure playground. There are so many fun and exciting things to do that you can become paralyzed with indecision. But as any seasoned Adventure Woman knows it's best to start with a plan of attack.

The first day of my Vegas trip my girlfriends and myself decided to go sky diving. What?! Yes, we decided to take the ultimate plunge! Maybe this isn't really the ultimate plunge when visiting Vegas. During my last two visits to Vegas I got married. First at the Venetian and then re-married at the Graceland Chapel by Elvis himself. Whether I felt more nervous jumping from a plane three miles up or walking down a 30 foot aisle is debatable.

Nevertheless, met at the Tropicana Hotel at 7AM and were picked up by a courtesy van. We signed release of liability papers (you jump + you die = your fault)and watched a funky video by a ZZ Top -looking bearded man. Once we arrived at the airport we suited up and waited for our plane.

I was the first one in and hence, the last one out of the plane. I was hooked (by four points) to my tandem jumping partner Scott. It seemed that we ascended forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and... We were so high I could barley make out the cars and buildings on the ground. And then the the door of the plane opens and we big jumping. It happens so fast you barely have time to think - and that may be a good thing.

When I watched the last person jump and realized it was my turn it occurred to me to change my mind and fly back to the airport. But before I knew it I was on the edge of the plane ready to jump. I kept my eyes shut and felt Scott push us forward and then we fell like rocks out of the plane. And we kept falling and falling and falling and falling... Finally I opened my eyes to see the world around me and it was beautiful. Initially it is difficult to breathe, but eventually I caught my breath and began enjoying the experience. Wow! I saw my friends beneath me with their parachutes open but mind was still shut. Oh no!

Then there was a sudden pull upward and my shoot opened and we began floating. This was absolutely exhilarating. Scott handed me the handles to guide the parachute and it was fantastic. Then we started doing twists and turns that made me scream with laughter... Before I knew it we were landing. Landing like a feather hitting the ground. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Never sky dived before? Then you have to do it. It is an adventure everyone should experience one. I loved it! Would I do it again.... ahhhh... I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment