http://www.blogcatalog.com/directory/lifestyle/living-well/ Adventure Woman Blog: Fabulous Over Forty Contest!
The Official Blog of AdventureWoman.com


Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fabulous Over Forty Contest!

These last five days I have been trying to get into the finals of MORE Magazines Fabulous Over Forty contest. I was hoping to bring attention to Adventure Woman, and if lucky enough, win some prize money to build our adventure (AdventureWomanJr.com) website for girls. This was my motivation.

The first step in entering the contest was admitting that I was actually over forty... Next step, I wrote my 150 word essay and submitted a recent photograph (taken within the last 3 months - contest rules). Paid a $25 entry fee and I was good to go!

Then came the more stressful part. Getting votes. Acquiring votes was not so easy because people had to go to the website, register, locate your profile and then vote. It was an investment of time for anyone kind enough to cast a vote for a contestant. As a consequence, getting votes was akin to finding pieces of gold or buried treasures. Yes, you had to seek them out!

I posted the contest on my Facebook page (Beth Walz) and encouraged friends (or is it hassled friends?) to vote for me. I was calling in old debts to get people to vote for me - like the time I gave my chocolate chip cookie to a friend on the bus in 6th grade (remember...?). Yes, I was asking friends from elementary school on up to law school to vote for me - which was an 'old saw' for most of them since I had been running for student council forever - and ever.

Actually, one of the nicest parts about the contest was hearing back from these old friends and receiving their encouraging words of support. There is nothing so wonderful as receiving a 'pat on the back' from an old elementary school/Jr.High/High school and college friends in a contest for people over forty!

I have no idea if I made the final cut of the 100 women who received the most votes. But I do know there are some kind, beautiful, intelligent and accomplished women over forty in the contest and I was in awe of many of them. Coming from a woman who runs a website -AdventureWoman.com - that features extraordinary women; this contest really had a 'mother-load' of phenomenal females. Fighter pilots to Federal wardens. Really? And they look like Christie Brinkley or Cheryl Tiegs! Yikes! Amazing stuff.

Yes, it would be an honor to go to the finals but regardless, it was - a grand adventure. And ya'll know how I feel about a new adventure. Yes, I just loved it! I will you let you know - when I know - if I made the 100 mark.

For those of you who did vote for me. A BIG Thank You! I appreciate your help and support. It was my family and friends (and the occasional kindness of strangers) who made the contest so much fun. I am grateful to all of you. Thanks again, and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment