http://www.blogcatalog.com/directory/lifestyle/living-well/ Adventure Woman Blog: Death by Kayak
The Official Blog of AdventureWoman.com


Monday, May 31, 2010

Death by Kayak

I spent the weekend Kayaking the Umpqua River. Now this is a beautiful spot in the world and the weather was cool but sunny. Kayaking is a fantastic sport because you glide along the water like you're a part of it and feel so free and unencumbered.

This is not a "roll" kayak. I have yet to master the kayak roll - and if anyone has any "helpful hints" or "kayaking roll secrets" I would certainly appreciate receiving them.

Just when I thought I was doing well heading the down rapids (Class 2)I noticed a fallen tree about twenty years in front of me. The rapids were moving so fast that I was unable to navigate around it. So I crashed into it.

I stuck my arm out to prevent myself from crashing into the trunk of the tree and what I did was halt the kayak, but not the rush of the river so the kayak actually flipped underneath the tree (with me in it). I found myself upside down underneath the kayak. I swam out of the kayak but every time I tried to reach the surface my head hit the kayak or the log or tree branches. I must of hit my head four times and I was running out of oxygen and time. I wondered if someone would help me, but I quickly realized that "the cavalry wasn't coming."

I thought I was going to die underneath that tree. It seemed like forever and ever... I remember trying to gather my wits and I decided to push away from the tree as long and as hard as I could. Suddenly, I 'popped up.'

I was floating down the river in my life jacket and even when I finally hit the surface I couldn't breathe. I just gasped and gasped and gasped - and bobbed and bobbed and bobbed. It took a long time to swim to shore and I was so exhausted - totally spent. I couldn't talk - I just breathed - as deeply as I could - and I was so thankful to be alive.

The rest of the trip was relatively pleasant and uneventful. But I kept reliving my panicked state underneath the tree - wondering if I was seconds or minutes from drowning. Regardless, I hope never to feel so trapped underwater again. It was an uneasy adventure...

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing post that had me holding my breath right along with you. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Yeah, a lesson learned. I should have tried to go over the tree and not under it. It is amazing how fast you can drown and how quickly you panic trapped underwater. Thank you, again.

    ReplyDelete